Here’s how you do it!
- Unsalted butter, for the pans (ive used 3 pans at 8″ size for my cake)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetend cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Homemade Vanilla buttercream frosting (click for the recipe)
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350F), with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line your pans with baking paper and butter them lightly.
- Sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer. Return bowl to mixer. Fit mixer with the paddle attachment. Add eggs, yolk, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake, switching positions of pans and rotating halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in pans on wire racks 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of cakes to loosen. Unmold; peel off parchment. Let cool completely, top sides up, on racks.
- Trim tops of cake layers with a long serrated knife to make them level. Using a small offset spatula, cover top of one cake layer evenly with 1 1/2 cups frosting; spread frosting so that it extends just beyond edges of cake. Add your sprinkles, I used chocolate chip coloured sprinkles (from Wilton) and sprinkled on top of the frosting before placing the second layer on top.
- Place second cake layer, cut side down, on top; press gently to make it level. Frost top and sides of assembled cake with remaining frosting.