Sure you can buy ready made frosting from Betty crocker or some other trustworthy brand. But its a whole other feeling when you are able to make it at home yourself, and be able to decide what colour, the sweetness, how much you want to make. This is a ‘go-to’ vanilla frosting, and goes good with any type of cake or cupcake, with sprinkles or without. If you can’t decide on a filling, just pick this and your sweet treat will be the star of the show!
Here’s how you make it!
- 1½ cups (340g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 5⅔ cups (680g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Seeds scraped from one vanilla bean pod (this is optional but I like it for the extra flavour)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or double cream
- pinch of salt
- Whip the butter (either in a stand mixer or with a hand held electric mixer) miuntil light and creamy for about 7-8 minutes on medium/high speed.
- Once the butter is pale in color and light slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar one spoon at a time on medium speed. Let the sugar fully incorporate before adding in more sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds, salt and cream.
- Whip on high speed for another 3-4 minutes until very light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Use the buttercream straight away for keep it refrigerated for upto 4 weeks. Before use make sure it comes to room temperature.