Who doesn’t love scones in the morning?! Especially if they are infused with maple syrup and espresso. Its like having your coffee and eating it too! 😉 It’s a quick 30 min recipe that you can get ready in a jiffy for the mornings where you just want something else for breakfast 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks (you can use chocolate chips but I like the chunky bits)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2/3 cup real maple syrup (make sure its real maple syrup, oterhwise the consistency will change)
- 4 tbps espresso, cooled
Maple & Espresso Glaze
- 1-2 cups icing sugar (I used 1 1/2 cups, but its entirely up to you, in terms of desired consistency)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp espresso, cooled
- 1/3 cup cream
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chunks.
- Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, beat egg until frothy, and stir in melted butter (make sure the butter is cooled), cream, maple syrup and cooled espresso. Pour into the well, and mix to create a soft dough.
- Pat dough into two 1/2 inch thick circles. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Score 6 wedges into each circle of dough. They should resemble tiny triangles (you could create large triangles without creating the circle if you wish)
- Bake in the oven at 220C (425 F) for 15 min. When they are ready, take out of the oven and let them cool completely on a cooling wrack. While they cool, you can get your syrup ready.
- Maple & Espresso Glaze : Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl, until mixed throughly. Use more icing sugar if you want the consistency to be thicker, or more cream if you want it to be thinner and more runny.
- Once the glaze is ready, drizzle onto your cooled scones, and get ready to eat them with a nice cup of coffee (or tea) 🙂 ENJOY!