There is nothing like November time without a chocolate bundt cake! Especially if the Bundt is a little special! I have come up with the perfect , fluffy, moist, chocolate Bundt cake with sour cream and orange infused taste! Who would say no to that! 😉
Here’s how you make it!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
- 2 large eggs (or three small ones)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt of you can’t find any sour cream)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of juice from oranges (i.e. freshly squeezed, don’t use orange juice from a box its not going to taste the same!)
- zest of one large orange (or two small ones)
For the Glaze
- 1 cup of juice from oranges (again, I can’t stress this enough, don’t use juice box juice, its just not the same 🙂 )
- 200 grams Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 4 tbsp Golden syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 180C. Butter and flour, with cocoa powder, a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt,water, and juice of the oranges and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl (or a stand mixer), whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and the vanilla extract. Whisk on medium speed until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. Place the chopped chocolate and golden syrup (or honey), and the juice of the oranges in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Generously drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Cut into pieces and serve.