There is absolutely no holiday season complete without the traditional sugar cookie. You can basically take this fool proof, super easy peasy recipe and colour it, decorate it, shape it, just as you want. Have fun while you do it, get the kids involved too. Its a lot of fun and even more fun to eat!
Here’s how you make them!
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a mixer until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and egg.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time and continue using the mixer until everything is combined and the mixture is crumbly.
- Wet your hands and knead it by hand. Separate it into 2 or 3 dough balls. Cover the remaining dough balls with plastic wrap while you are rolling. (Don’t chill the dough)
- Place the dough on a floured surface, sprinkle a small amount of flour on top to keep the rolling pin from sticking and roll it out until it’s about ¼ inches thick.
- Using your favourite cookie cutters, cut out the shapes, then use a metal spatula to transfer the shapes to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 175C for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the cookies are out, let them cool on a wired wrack. Once completely cooled through, decorate the cookies with royal icing (The recipe for the royal icing can be found here)