When you think of Italian desserts, you immediately think of biscotti (well at least I do!). here is a more seasonal twist on this Italian cookie, with involves the golden ingredient Saffron! Eat them yourself or share with friends and family, either way they don’t disjoint! 😉
Here’s how you make them!
- 100 g butter
- 0.5g saffron
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 300 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Turn the oven on to 170C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, once melted pour into in a bowl and let cool.
- Once cooled completely add the saffron, sugar and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Then add in the chopped nuts, mix through then pour in the wet ingredients.
- Work through the dough with your hands until it becomes firm. If the dough is still wet, add a little (I usually start with a tablespoon) of flour until you achieve the right consistency (which is a fully blended dough that holds together well).
- On your counter top sprinkle some flour, and place the dough on the flour. Cut into four equal parts, and roll each part out to roughly 40cm long and 8cm wide.
- Place the the rolls on your baking tray which is lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once rested, divide (by slicing) each roll to roughly 10 biscotti.
- Place them back onto the baking tray.
- Turn the heat down to 100 C, and bake for an hour, or until they have dried out completely.
- Once they are baked and dried out completely, turn the heat off but leave them in the oven with the oven door slightly opened. Until completely cooled.
- Then take them out and enjoy! 🙂