So this is one of my all time favourite Swedish cookie, its a chocolate butter coockie with pearl sugar on the sides called Brysselchex in Swedish. I never actually made these cookies before, I would just go to my local shop and buy them, as I live in Sweden and its the easiest thing to do. But believe it or not, when I had my craving for these the other day, they were no where to be found. So I went home and made them myself. Here I share with you this traditional Swedish cookie with my own recipe 🙂
Here’s how you make them!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 200 g butter (cold, cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder (I use the dark kind, so its pure and a little stronger)
- 1 Egg , beaten (this is to brusht eh sides with)
- 1/2 cup pearl sugar (to stick to the sides)
- In a large bowl, add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla sugar, and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until blended well.
- Then add in the cubes of butter and with your hands break apart the butter until it is throughly mixed into the dry ingredients. Then slowly start taking the dough (this should be dry and crumbly at this stage) and blending it in, in a half circular motion whilst pressing it down in the center. So swipe your hand clockwise, while gathering all the dough, and press down, gather all the dough and press down , and so on. Until the dough ahs become a dark chocolate colour and is all stuck together. You coudl also just use a blender and whip it up in there within 5 min, but if youre like me and like to get stuck into it, then do it the old fashioned way 😉
- Once the dough is ready, roll it out into the 3 rolls, about 5 cm in diameter. And wrap in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and refridgerate for 30 minutes. This will help with slicing it later.
- Turn your oven on to 175C , and place your pearl sugar in a plate so its easy for you to roll the dough onto.
- Get you chilled dough, and brush your egg wash onto the sides of your dough roll and then roll it out onto the pearl sugar, so it is all coverd in that beautiful sugar.
- Then slice about 1 cm thick slices, and place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 min. NOTE! Do not over bake, oterhwise the pearl sugar will melt and the cookies will become hard and burn.
- Once theyre ready, take them out and leave them to rest and cool down for abotu 15 minutes. If you eat the straight away they will jsu break apart as it is a butter cookie!
- And lastly enjoy! 🙂