Summer isn’t complete if you dont eat a lemon meringue at some point.. according to me at least! 😉 Thats is why I have chosen to bake mini lemon meringue cupcakes and i call them kisses instead of cupcakes as the sticky meringue kisses your lips whenever you take a bite! YUM! There is yummy lemon curd in the centre of this beautiful chiffon lemon cupcake! Yum Yum Yum!
Here is how you make it!
INGREDIENTS (makes batch of 15 mini’s)
- Zest of 1 large or two small lemons
- 3/4 cup super fine flour (if you can get a hold of cake flour thats the best but make sure not to use all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tbsp canola oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup prepared lemon curd (Recipe here)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- In a bowl combine flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 tbsp zest; whisk well using . In a small bowl combine egg yolks, water, oil and extract; beat on medium speed of electric hand mixer until well blended. Add dry ingredients; beat on medium speed until smooth.
- In a medium bowl and using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. While continuously beating, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a very slow, steady stream. Continue beating 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Stir in one-fourth of the meringue into the batter; and then gently fold in remaining meringue.
- Then divide the batter evenly among mini cupcake liners; bake 10-12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove from the oven Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.
- To assemble cupcakes, spoon lemon curd into a piping bag (or if it’s easier for you pour using a teaspoon). Then pipe in the lemon curd into the center of the cupcake and let them sit for a few minutes.
- While the cupcakes are resting, you can make your meringue topping. Just whip up the egg white in a small bowl and add gradually the sugar until you see soft peaks and the meringue is glossy. That is when you add your lemon extract and mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and pipe a dollop onto each cupcake.
- Turn on your grill in the over and fill your tray with the cupcakes. Place the tray at the highest level ove the oven wihh the door of the oven opened! This is very important as you don’t want bake the. Upcake anymore you just want to brown the meringue. You can always use a hand held burner if that’s easier for you. Baking the meringue should only take a minute. Take out and sprinkle some lemon zest for decoration, and you’re done! ☺