Lemon Curd can always be easily bought at your local grocers or corner shops. However its a completely different feeling when you make it yourself, and have the joy of eitehr making it that little extra bit tangy or a little extra sweet! 🙂 I have my own recipe for my lemon curd, and I would love to share it with you!
Heres how you make it!
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, very cold and cut into cubes (keep the cubes in the fridge until ready to use)
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Heat the lemon juice over medium heat in a saucepan until hot but NOT boiling.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs & yolk in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the sugar. While whisking, slowly pour hot lemon juice into the eggs. Make sure to keep whisking so the eggs dont cook, and you bring enough air into the mixture! Then pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium haet, stiring constantly. Stir cusing a wooden spoon, until it reaches a tempertature of 170. You can check if its ready by seeing if the mixture coats the back of your wooden spoon.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the cold butter. Once the butter is melted, stir in the cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Get a sieve a place it ontop of a medium bowl, and sieve the curd through, to make sure there are no lumps and you have a silky smooth curd texture.
- Place in a bowl until cooled completely, then you can use it straight away or keep it in a jam jar for up to a month.