I created this desert in conjunction with http://www.spicyspoon.se ! We both created an Indian dinner and dessert meal to share with you guys! She created an amazing Palek Paneer (Which is a yummy spinach and cheese Indian curry) and I accompanied it with an Indian dessert Firni! (Scroll allll the way down to both of our videos creating these yummy deserts! And head on over to her blog for some Amazing recipes! Her blog is www.spicyspoon.se )
Firni is a soft rice pudding made from rice flour and milk. It is very popular in India and is also one of the main dishes people will make for special holidays. Its super easy, super fast, and supe duper tasty! I have added a little orange blossom and orange zest to make it a little yummier and special!
Here’s how you make it!
*Makes 8 servings
- 1 litre milk
- 7 tbsp rice flour
- 6-7 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cardemon seeds, crushed
- 1/4 pistachio, sliced for garneshing
- 3 tsp orange blosson water (or rose water)
- 2 tsp of dried orange zest – this is optional for an extra flavouring element / and for garneshing
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a small bowl, and whisk in the rice flour until completely blended and no lumps are left.
- Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the cardemon, sugar, orange blossom water (or rose water) and the orange zest (optional) and let teh sugar dissolve, mixing it slowly with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Then add in the milk with the rice flour and start stirring a bit faster making sure nothing stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Youw ill start to feel the mixture thicken up and become a light custardy texture.
- When it reaches the consistensy of a thicker custard and coats the back of your spoon or spatula, it ready. Take it off the heat and pour into your ramekins.
- Place them into the fridge to set for about 2 hours. Once set, garnish with pistachio and some more orange zest.
- And your done! Enjoy!