This may look advanced but it isn’t at all! Its a three layered chocolate cake, my one bowl mix recipe, with a lemon curd creme and chocolate ganache! The flowers are made from buttercream which I added lime flavouring too. Super fun, super pretty and extremely tasty cake! My first time in making the flower from buttercream too! Not too bad eyy!!!?? 😉
Here’s how you make it!
- 1 Batch of my Chocolate Birthday Cake – Recipe here
- 1/2 cup of lemon curd – recipe here
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 100 gram white chocolate chopped
- 150 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cream
- pinch of sea salt
Floral Decoration (optional)
- 1 Batch of buttercream
- Multiple gel colours for your flowers
- Wilton tip 70 for leaf
- Wilton tip # 104 & #103 for petals on different sizes
Three layered Cake –
- Click here to follow the directions for the one bowl mix chocolate birthday cake and then pour into three 6″ cake pans, and bake for 30 min on 175C degrees.
Chocolate Ganache –
- Place your chopped chocolate with the sea salt in a small bowl.
- Pour the cream (only 1 cup) into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, pour over the dark chocolate and let sit for ten minute without stirring.
- Then stir until mixed, and leave for another 20 min until completely cool, but at room temp.
- Then take your hand held whisk, and whisk until it becomes a thick cream. Should take roughly 6 min.
Lemon Curd creme –
- In a small bowl place your chopped white chocolate with salt. Then take your 1 cup remaining cream and put into a small saucepan and bring to boil. Then pour over the white chocolate and let sit for ten min. Then mix until the chocolate is combined with the cream. Let stand for another 20 min at room temp until cooled. Then whip it up.
- Then take your lemon curd and fold it into your white chocolate whipped cream. For an extra lemon flavour, add some lemon zest to it if your like. Then place in fridge until ready to spread.
Assembling the cake –
Take one of your cooled cakes, and spread the lemon curd creme on top. Leave just about half a cup to cover the cake with (this is a ‘naked cake’ so you wont need much, but something to at least hold in the crumbs). Place into the fridge for about 30 min or the freezer for about 15, just so that the creme is a bit more stiff so you are able to place the next layer on top with ease.
Once its cooled a bit, place the second layer on top and spread the chocolate ganache over it. If you find that your ganache is too stiff, then take a spoon or spatula, and mix it around fro a bit until it softens. If you feel it still to stiff to spread while on top of the first layer, then you can always spread the ganache first on your second layer and then place on top of the first layer (i.e. on top of the lemon creme). Once two both layers are on top of each other cover with the third layers and place back into fridge for 30 min or freezer for 15/20 min.
Once cooled enough, take out and spread the remaining half cup of lemon creme around and clean off with a palette knife or a scraper so you take off any excess creme, and are left with the three layers visible but with creme here and there. (Look at the images below fro reference).
You are done with the cake!! Yay! However if you want a challenge then try out the flowers.. I will put up a tutorial fro the flowers later on this week, but for now give it a go yourself! 😉 Its super fun!