So here is a unique little twist to the good ol’ chocolate cake. I made this for the Swedish version of the ‘British bake off’ show called ‘Hela Sverige Bakar’. The judges absolutely loved it! The combination of chilli in the cake, the coffee in the mousse layer on the top and the raspberry buttercream, they said it all went great together and it’s a beautiful little cake that gives you that ‘kick’ you need! 😉 How awesome right!?! Well it’s super easy to make!
Here’s how you make it!
Chocolate Cake Base –
- Unsalted butter, for the pans (ive used 2 pans at 6″ size for my cake)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetend cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, just add 2 tbsp of lemon juice into your milk and let it set for five min before using as buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of crushed & ground strong chilli flakes
Coffee Mousse Layer –
- 150g dark chocolate
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp glucose syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites egg whites
- 100 millilitres cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup strong coffee, cooled
Raspberry Buttercream –
- 100 grams Margarine or Butter – at room temperature
- 1 1/2 dl Icing Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 dl Mixed Raspberries – can use frozen as well, just make sure to strain of excess water
Chocolate Cake Layers –
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350F), with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line your pans with baking paper and butter them lightly.
- Sift together chilli, cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer. Return bowl to mixer. Fit mixer with the paddle attachment. Add eggs, yolk, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans lined with parchment paper or baking sheet. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool in the cake pan before assembling.
Chocolate Mousse :
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool, then fold in whipped cream.
- Whip your egg whites until stiff.
- In a small saucepan bring to a boil the sugar and water, until the sugar then add the sugar syrup and water in a saucepan, stir until it boils, wash down sides of the pan with pastry brush and water. Boil unstirred until temp reaches 120C (248 degrees Fahrenheit). Then whisk the egg whites on high speed and pour in the sugar syrup in a thin stream. Whisk until cooled.
- Then fold in the egg white merengue into the chocolate/whipped cream.
- Then fold in the cooled coffee until completely combined through.
- Pipe into your cake pan (same size as the cakes you’re baking (I used 6″ cake pans). If it is not a silicon module you’re using then just line your cake pan with clingfilm or plastic wrap and let set in the freezer until set enough to place ontop of the cake.
Raspberry Buttercream –
- Place into the fridge until the raspberry jelly insert is stiff.
- Once stiff, take out and pipe in the chocolate mousse directly ontop. Place back into the freezer and let stiffen.
- Add icing sugar and margarin together in a bowl until blended completely.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and whisk with an electric whisk and high speed until blended completely.
- Pour the buttercream into a piping bag and let chill for 10-15 minutes in the fridge until a little more stiff.
- Take one of your cakes and pipe your raspberry buttercream in (for an extra zing I added some fresh raspberries ontop of the buttercream).
- Then place the second cake later ontop.
- Take out your chocolate mousse, and place ontop of the second layer.
- Garnish with dusting cocoa powder ontop of the cake and tempers chocolate – I’ve used a wedged mound for my mousse so it looks like it has divest and is going in and out, then when dusting it with cocoa powder it looks like the dark desert especially with the triangular tempered chocolate prices which I painted in colours of gold and sunset shades of red, pink and yellow ontop.
(Pictures are from the show!! Wohooo!)