I love meringues! Especially if they are chewy! The best part about meringues is that you can make them into any shape and size you want! Ill be showing you guys my meringue wreaths, They beautiful small little meringues that almost look like ornaments! They also have vanilla and passion fruit flavour in them / yes PASSION FRUIT! YUM RIGHT!?!? Super easy to make and lots of fun! (click on this link for the youtube video tutorial on my merengue reefs!)
Here’s how you make them!
- 200 grams Pasturized Egg White
- pinch salt
- 400 grams icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Passion fruit flavouring gel
- In a stand mixer, add in your egg whites with the pinch of salt and mix on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Then add in your icing sugar – I add mine in three parts only so the icing sugar doesn’t fly everywhere! 😉 Mix on high speed until stiff and shiny peaks form.
- Add in your vanilla extract and the passion fruit flavouring, and beat until well combined.
- Take the merengue mixture and split it into four bowls.
- Add a few drops of your gel food colouring into each bowl (making sure the bowl with the most amount of meringue is green as that will require the most meringue for the reefs) Then FOLD your merengue with the colour – This is absolutely vital that you do NOT mix it or beat it, you must FOLD it so that the wonderful air you’ve created in your meringue doesn’t go away and deflate.
- Then pour the merengue into different piping bags fitted with the respective tips (I used 729 for the wreaths, and various floral tips for the other colours)
- Pipe them out on a baking tray lined with baking sheet/paper. And once piped you can even add some sprinkles to jazz it up a bit – this is optional.
- Place them in the oven at 70C for 4 hours with the oven door ajar (a bit open – remember, you don’t want to bake them you want to dry them out)
- And voila! They’re done! Enjoy! 🙂