This past weekend I was in Oslo, Norway. And Whilst walking in the beautiful city streets, I stumbled across a cafe called Fru Hagen . We had brunch, which is AMAZING! And then of course, it was time for desert. We saw this Lemon & Olive Oil cake on the menu, and just got so intrigued we had to try it! Oh My gosh, was it Incredible or what! I loved it so much, that when Fru Hagen found out, they offered to give me the recipe and we decided to do a little collaboration so that I would be allowed to share their amazing lemon & Olive oil cake with you guys!
If you are ever visiting Oslo, or already live there, then go to Fru Hagen, have their amazing brunch, and eat this amazing cake! Trust me, you will be so happy, afterwards you’ll be singing all day long! 😉
Here’s how you make it!
- 201g sugar
- 192g flour
- 340 g turkish yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 60ml lemon juice
- 160ml (1.6dl) extra virgin olive oil
- 32g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven at 200 C. Butter and line a baking pan (I use an 8inch round pan) with parchment/baking paper.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder and the ground almonds.
- In a larger bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest together, then add in the eggs, and with a hand held mixer, mix on medium high until doubled in size and lighter in colour (this should take roughly 2 min).
- Then reduce the speed to low and add in the lemon juice & yoghurt. mix until combined, and then add in the olive oil, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Next add in the flour mixture. Do this on very slow speed and carefully, just mix until its combined, making sure you DO NOT OVERMIX. (Check our my video on how this stage should look one y youtube tutorial, click here)
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 40-50 min, until golden brown from the top and when you stick a cake tester in it comes out clean.
- Leave to rest for 15-20 min, and enjoy with some jam and creme fraiche!