So I’ve been on a diet, and while it’s not as bad as I thought I am still getting cravings for sweet things .. after all I am a baker! I thought I would try some recipes out and substitute things add some things, you know general trial and error and after unsuccessfully coming at something I finally created a cake that blew my mind! My coconut cake with coconut cream cheese frosting is literally delicious! People who aren’t on a diet would even love it! It’s moist, it’s coconutty, it’s almondy, with a hint of vanilla, just pretty much all round YUM factor! I have used stevia as a substitute but if you do want to bake this without worrying about a diet then just replace it for sugar! Works both ways!!!
Here’s how you make it!
Coconut & Almond Cake Base – (makes 2, 6″ cakes)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 sour cream (gräddfil for those of you in sweden 😉 )
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened to room temp)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup stevia (substitute this for sugar if you want the real deal)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract ( I get mine from femtorp, you can purchase it here )
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting –
- 180g cream cheese at room temp
- 75g unsalted room temp butter
- 3 1/2 tsp stevia (more if you want it more sweet, and again substitute this for sugar if you want the real deal 😉 )
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (whipped and chilled)
- 1 cup coconut shreds (unsweetened, I used larger ones, mainly because I like the texture)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I get mien from Fentorp, click this link to purchase)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- a pinch of salt
Coconut & Almond cake base’ –
- Preheat oven to 176 degrees Celsius and coat two 6″ round baking pans with coconut oil spray or coat with butter and line with baking paper or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix using a handheld mixer the butter, stevia ( or sugar if you prefer) and vanilla until fluffy.
- Then add the creme fraiche, sour cream and coconut oil and mix until fully combined. Add in the eggs and mix well. The batter will become quit loose at this point.
- Then add all the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined try to mix until you dont see any lumps of the flours left). The batter will be a lot thicker at this point.
- Pour the batter evenly in your 6″ ready lined pans, and bake in the oven for about 30-35 min, until a cake tester is inserted and comes out clean.
- Take it out and let it cool completely before adding the frosting.
Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting –
- In a small bowl mix the butter, cream cheese and sweetener together well.
- Add in the vanilla extract and lemon extract and the whipped cream and 3/4 cup of the coconut shreds. Leave in the fridge to chill until the cakes are cooled.
Once the cakes are cooled, take one and pour 1/4 (1/2 if you like a lot of filling) of the frosting on it, then place the 2nd cake on top, and cover the top and sides with the rest of the frosting. Top with some more shredded coconut shavings and some raspberries (i chopped mine up a bit, I just like the tartness of them!)