Now thats its extremely hot outside, and the only thing that can make the summer heat a little cooler is when you take a bite of something tart but sweet. Yes! That yummy feeling!! Well here is a Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie that is perfect for any summer dinner. To enjoy the tartness of the rhubarb and the sweetness fo the strawberries with the crunchiness of the pie shell.. this recipe is exactly what you need. 🙂
Here’s how you make it!
4 cups rhubarb (chopped)
3 cups strawberries (sliced in half)
1 3/4 cups of brown sugar
1/4 cup Tapioca Flour (you can find this at any local asian market or grocery store, if you cant fidn this then corn starch works just as fine)
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
Pie Crust –
2 1/2 cup flour
1 cup butter, chilled (its very important that teh butter is very cold)
1 tsp salt
6-7 tbs ice cold water
Pie Crust –
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Cut into half and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for minimum 40 min (or for best results overnight)
- Roll one of the dough balls out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Place the pie plate into the fridge until it the filling is ready.
- In a bowl place all ingredients for the filling and stir until everything is well combined and the fruits are evenly coverd.
- Once the filling is complete, take out the pie plate and fill with the fruist filling. Place back into the fridge.
- Turn the oven on at 200 C.
- Grab the remaining pie dough and roll it out on a well floured surface.
- You can make any type of pie crust design or even just cover it whole. But if you do chose to cover it make sure to poke a few holes to let the steam out while the pie bakes. You can also take a look at my design on the pie crust, I have an image to show how to do a two-string braid which you could also use as a design element. You can also use cookie cutters in all shapes and sizes to cover the pie with as well.
- Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes. Once teh pie is ready let it sit for about 2 hours before slicing into it to let all the juices come together.
- Enjoy with some vanilla ice cream!