Breakfast is the most important meal in the day,, as everyone always told me. So instead of cereal or regular toast and eggs why not amp up your breaky and grab a yummy sourdough bread, toasted, add some of this yummy citrusy mascarpone mix and some rhubarb compote and voila! Your breakfast just became the new summer hit! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Here’s how you make it!
For the rhubarb compote –
- 2 cups of diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lime zest
For the Mascarpone Lime Whip –
- 200 g Mascarpone cheese
- Zest of 1 whole lime
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup whipped cream (whipped and cooled in the fridge)
Serving suggestion –
- Sourdough bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries
Rhubarb Compote –
- In a frying pan add your rhubarb and just heat them on medium heat until they are charred a little.
- Then in a small saucepan, add in all your ingredients together with the charred rhubarb and stir on medium to low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved and everything had coated the rhubarb nicely. This should take only roughly 10-15 min.
- Once the rhubarb is falling apart slightly, take it out and store it in a small serving bowl or jar.
Mascarpone Lime Whip –
- In a small bowl, add in your Mascarpone and whisk it until it becomes creamy and smooth. Add in the lime juice and lime zest and mix until combined.
- Then fold in your whipped cream. And place in a serving bowl and into the fridge.
- Grab your toasted sourdough bread (or any alternative of your choice) spread 2 tbsp of mascarpone whip and then top with 2-3 tbsp of the rhubarb compote. Add some strawberries and grate some lime over if you like.
And voila! Your breakfast of champions is done! 😉