Theres nothing like trying new things. Especially when it comes to sweet treats. In Asia sweet desserts are not always classed as super sweet and sugary as they are in the west. flavours like cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, rice flour, and chickpea flour are commonly used in desserts in Asia, Especially in India/Pakistan region. Here are my little delights made from Chickpea flour, that are my take on asian cookies. They are gluten free, oven-free bake, and super tasty! You make them in the frying pan! Who would have thought eyy!? 🙂
Here’s how you make them!
- 2 cups of chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbs finely ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup ghee or pure butter
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup finely sliced pistachio
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- In the largest frying pan in your kitchen you can find, melt the ghee or butter completely on medium to low heat. Then add in all of you chickpea flour.
- Start stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ghee/butter is completely incorporated into the chickpea flour.
- Once combined, keep stirring until the mixture breaks down and starts drying up. This will take roughly 20 min, and the colour should start changing into a darker shade and you should be able to smell the roasting scent of the flour.
- Once the darker shade is achieved and you smell the wonderful roasted aroma of the flour, add in the cardamon, nutmeg and orange zest. Keep the heat on medium low, and keep stirring, blending it well.
- The mixture should dry up and then break down into a dough consistency. If you feel that the mixture is still too try, then add in a tablespoon of butter/ghee and keep stirring until you get a mixture that is combined together like a dough. (If your mixture is too wet, don’t worry, just add a bit more chickpea flour, and if it still remains wet, still no need to panic the next steps will fix this! 🙂 )
- Once mixed well for about 10-15 min, take off the heat and add in the milk powder and icing sugar. Making sure the pan is NOT on the heat, mix and blend rigourously. You will notice that it will become a dark burnt orange roasted colour, and have a shiny dough consistency.
- Then lay out your dough onto a silpat or baking paper, and flatten it out. Let it sit for roughly 10 or so minutes or until you are able to touch with your hands. Its very hot from the start, so make sure you wait before you get all in!
- Once cooled enough, break off 1 tablespoon of the dough, roll into balls, and flatten it out into a disk. Do it to all of the dough (should make roughly 40 mini cookies, or 20 larger ones). Place them on a flat tray or surface of some sort and into the fridge to cool and harden – roughly 10/15 minutes.
- During the resting time, get your chocolate and melt it, and set aside. Get your pistachios and slice them into quarters.
- Get your mini chickpea cookies, and drizzle the dark chocolate all over them and garnish with the sliced pistachio!
And voila! ENJOY!
This video doesn’t exist
This video doesn’t exist
One thought on “Ammna’s Chickpea Delights”
Looks so cute and delicious! Following your blog for more recipes 🙂 Check out my delicious apple cobbler perfect for fall! https://thesweetworldsite.wordpress.com/2018/09/24/apple-cobbler/