During the summer, you want to have something a Little bit tangy and sweet but nothing to overpowering. You don’t want a full cake but you want something substantial like a cake… right? So here is my take on a cake that’s not so much like a cake but it is like cake … you with me? 😉 My Lemon & Poppy seed butter laof cake is buttery, soft, sweet and a little tart.. topped with a lemon cream cheese frosting, which is to die for! Its extremely easy!
Here’s how you Bake it!
INGREDIENTS : (This recipe makes two loaf cakes)
Butter Lemon & Poppy Loaf Cake –
- 3 Cups flour (336g)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest from 2 large lemons
- 225g Butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed or ready squeezed, both work)
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting –
- 300g cream cheese, I used Philadelphia
- 150g mascarpone cheese
- 225g Butter, slightly so , but still cold
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups icing sugar (this depends on how sweet you want it, I only used 1 cup)
- Zest of one small lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Butter Lemon & Poppy Seed Loaf :
- Preheat the oven to 175C (or 350F) Butter and line two loaf tins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then whisk together the lemon zest and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice and let it set to curdle (This is your homemade buttermilk)
- In a large bowl, or a stand mixer bowl, beat the butter until softened then add their sugar and beat until pale is color.
- Then add in the eggs, one by one and beat on medium. Then add the vanilla extract and beat on medium again, making sure you scrape down the sides.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture alternatively in four parts – so 1/4 flour, Beat on medium, then 1/4 buttermilk, beat on medium, then 1/4 flour, beat on medium, 1/4 buttermilk, beat on medium … and so on until both he flour and buttermilk are finished. Do not over mix, just beat until they are combined.
- Then add the poppy seeds, until combined, and pour into the prepared baking tins, and bake for 27-33 minutes at 175C (350F) until edges are slightly golden and when a cake tester comes out clean.
- Take out from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before releasing from the pans. Then let it cool completely before spreading the cream cheese frosting on.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting :
- Using a hand held mixer or a stand mixer, beat the butter until soft, on medium. Then add the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese, until combined, making sure not to over beat other wise the cream cheese will melt.
- Then add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and combine JUST until its combined, remembering not to over mix.
- Then start adding the icing sugar until your desired sweetness and remember not to over mix!!!
- Once you’re ready with your frosting, spread generously on your cooled loafs
- And Voila!!! You’re done! Decorate with some poppy seeds and lemon zest!