So there is nothing better than to be asked to do a wedding cake. The joy you get when you know someone trusts you with their special day, is a BIG DEAL! So I prepare myself by bringing the bride & groom over, giving them a cake test session, and letting them decide what they would like in their cake on that special day. This time the choice was a decadent rich Mocha Coffee Chocolate Cake, with a Mocha Coffee Chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream, and a white chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream on the outside. Yes it sounds like a mouthful to say, but this is the special day, so why not chose something that takes like 5 minutes to explain…right!?
I obviously decorated it in late summer flowers, which resemble the beautiful colours of the even itself. This was a my tester cake, and because I prefer not to post images of the final cake at the even (its a private special day, so why intrude!?) I always try to bake something before, that resembles the end result in some respect. So here it is, my floral decadent mocha coffee infused, white chocolate and dark chocolate covered amazingly intense and delicious cake! … Yes it takes a little time to make the buttercream, and the flowers, but the cake itself is easy peazy.. 😉
I wont be giving instructions on how to make the flowers, but I’ve added the tip I’ve used to make them with! So do give it a try!
Here’s how you bake it!
Mocha Coffee Cake –
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder nice quality
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/4 cups coffee hot, strong
- 1/2 cup water
- ¾ cup veggie oil
Mocha Coffee Buttercream – (filling)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup (215g) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (340g) unsalted butter room temperature, cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 100g dark chocolate chopped, melted, and cooled
White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream – (outside layer & flowers)
- 4 Egg Whites
- 120 g Granulated Sugar
- 250 g Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature And Cut Into Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 200 g white chocolate, chopped
- 1 pinch Fine Sea Salt
- (Plus liquid gel colour for the flowers, if you want to add them)
- If you want to make the flowers the piping tips used for the flowers & leaves – Wilton #125 ,#102, #103, #104
Mocha Coffee Cake –
Preheat oven to 175C.
Butter and line with baking paper (parchment paper) three 6-inch cake pans.
Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes.
Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 175C or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the bake.
Allow time to cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
Mocha Coffee Buttercream (filling) –
Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch, approx. 5-10 mins).
Switch to paddle attachment.
Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
Add vanilla, melted chocolate, and espresso powder. Whip until smooth.**
Fill your cakes evenly with the buttercream, there could be some left over, depending on how much you like in between each layer (I like A LOT! 🙂 )
- Place into the fridge once all layers have been filled to chill before adding on the the outside layer of white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream.
White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream –
- Follow the same method as above (for the mocha coffee buttercream) Just minus the coffee and add white chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
- Take your cake out of the fridge, and cover with the white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream.
- Decorate as you wish, or of you would like to make the flowers, make a 1/2 batch more of the same white chocolate buttercream, and split them into separate bowls, adding your desired colours into each bowl. Blend them thoroughly and then get piping away! 🙂
And there you have it guys! You’re amazingly decadent coffee mocha chocolate infused cake is ready to be devoured!