Puff pastry can be an interesting and sometimes challenging thing to bake. However if you follow this very easy recipe it will change your mind in baking it yourself! HOWEVER.. if you don’t want to bake it just buy it from the store, and fill it with these amazing ingredients, and enjoy! 🙂 Usually you will find chocolate twists, but I added crushed pistachios, and almond paste just to give it that extra Ammna touch!
Here’s how you bake them!
Puff Pastry –
- 4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 454 butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cup ice water
- Crushed pistachio
- Dark Chocolate chips
- Almond Paste
- Measure your flour into a large mixing bowl by scooping into the measuring cup and levelling off. Add salt. Add the butter. Stir in ice water. Stir with spoon until it just starts sticking together. Then dump onto the counter and using the folding method, ‘knead’ it together, being careful not to over-work the dough. Basically, you fold the dough and bring it down, then gather the rest of the dough and fold bring it down, and just keep going until it all combines. You can use any method, as long as it all starts getting together but making sure the butter doesn’t melt and keeps chunky.
- Once it has started to come together, shape into a rectangle and fold into a book fold (three way fold, so bring in one side to the center then bring in the other side to the edge. Wrap and freeze for 30 minutes
- Once it’s been in the freezer for 30 minutes, take it out and on a pastry mat, push the dough down with a heavy rolling pin. Push and roll out till it comes to a size of ‘roughly’ 35 cm long and 22 cm wide. Fold into the book again and freeze another 30 minutes. Repeat 4 more times. Once you have done 5 folds, roll it out to 12 inches in length. Cover in plastic wrap and let the puff pastry rest in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Roll out into a 10×12 sheet.
- Spread the almond paste all over on side, then sprinkle the pistachio and chocolate chips all over. With a pizza slicer (or knife) slice out 20 strips, each roughly 2 inches thick. Then holding both ends twist in opposite directions, and place onto a baking pan with baking sheet on. Some of the filling will fall out, don’t worry just pop it back on 🙂 Optional – sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
- Once all twists are done, brush with some cream or egg wash, and bake for 15 minutes at 200C, or until light golden brown.
And Voila! you’re yummy puff pastry twists are done to be eaten!! 🙂