Its fall. And because its fall, you always want to have warming spices in the evenings especially for your desserts. Plus you want it to be easy to bake! So what better way to get exactly what you want than to bake an apple strudel! As long as you don’t attempt baking the filo pastry dough yourself (i didnt.lol) you will be able to concur this yummy treat pretty quickly and pretty easily! My recipe for this amazing strudel, adds a little sweetness with brown sugar, a little tart’ness with some orange juice and some amazing aromas with these wonderful fall spices! You cant go wrong! 😉
here’s how you bake it!
- 10 sheets of filo pastry sheets
- 2 tbls orange juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 3 granny smith green apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- Icing sugar to garnish with
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- In a large frying pan/skillet melt butter, add sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, for about 2 minutes (do not cook the apples). Let it rest to cool completely, the mixture will become sticky.
- Prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take 1 fillo sheet at a time and lay it in the prepared baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and repeat until all 10 fillo sheets are stacked.
- Now, with the baking sheet placed horizontally (one long edge of fillo facing you), spoon apple filling in the middle leaving a 2-inch boarder of fillo all around. Roll the fillo pastry from one end towards the center , and do the same from the other side leaving a seem open in the center where the apples can be seen.
- Brush strudel with melted butter and remaining juices from apple filling mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until fillo turns a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in sheet pan. To garnish, sprinkle apple strudel with icing sugar. Slice, serve and Enjoy! 🙂