So here is a a simple recipe for a seasonal treat, that is moist, delicious, bake-ahead (yes! you can bake these ahead, and freeze them for up to two weeks, just take it out and let them defrost for an hour, and voila! good as new!) gingerbread cupcakes topped with cardamom swiss meringue buttercream. Its closing in on the seasonal flavours now, and gingerbread can be seen literally EVERYWHERE in Sweden. So why not incorporate it into a tiny cupcake and add some amazing cardamom buttercream on stop just to lift those seasonal spices up! All you need is a hot cup of cocoa or coffee/tea and youre good to go! 😉
Here’s how you bake them!
Gingerbread Cupcakes –
- 1/2 cup (1.2dl) sugar
- 1/2 cup (1.2 dl) vegetable oil (I use rape seed oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (2.5 dl) dark syrup (or molasses)
- 1 1/2 cup (4 dl) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground kardamom
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1.2 dl) boiling water
Cardamom Maringue Buttercream –
- 4 egg whites
- 120 g sugar
- 250 g unsalted butter, room temp, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 200 g white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 pinch salt
Gingerbread Cupcakes –
- Set the oven at 175C.
- Whisk the sugar and oil together. Add the egg and dark syrup, whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Seive in the flour, baking powder, all spices, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the boiling water and whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter into cupcake cases, and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 in, or untila . cake tester comes out clean.
- Once ready, take out and let cool completely before piping the buttercream on.
Cardamom Meringue Buttercream –
- Whisk the egg whites, sugara nd salt over a waterbath. Once all the sugar granules have disolved, using a hand held whisk, whisk until it becomes a nice thick glossy meringue. Add in the cubes of butter one by one and whisk on slow speed until combined – see note below. Then add in the cardamom and white chocolate. Whisk until thoroughly combined, and thick. (Note– Don’t worry if the meringue falls a bit flat once adding in the butter, just keep whisking, and once the next stage is complete just keep wisking at high speed for abotu 5 minutes and itll become beautoful and thick!)
- Pour into piping bag, and pipe over the cooled cupcakes! And your’e done!