No cookie, or cake is complete without decorating it. And what better way to decorate it than with Royal icing. This icing is perfect as it stiffens well, and you can use it to design anything on cakes or cookies. Plus it tastes super yummy too!
Here’s how you make it!
- 450 grams icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice / or any extract you want the icing to be flavored as
- Optional: food coloring in desired colours
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy.
- Switch to low speed and gradually sift the sugar into the egg whites until it’s completely incorporated. Then add the lemon juice and beat on high speed until the icing is very thick and forms stiff peaks, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- At this point, you can add the food colouring, if you’re only going to need a full batch of one color. But if you need more than one color, separate whatever quantities of icing you need into individual bowls and just stir in the coloring you want.
- Then decorate on cookies or cakes as you wish 🙂
4 thoughts on “Royal Icing”