It’s nearly New Years, and I kept thinking what to bake.. and well all I actually wanted was a traditional yummy moist red velvet cake with some fluffy cream cheese frosting. And yes, that’s exactly what I made! This cake is fluffy, soft, moist, creamy and verrryyyy delicious!
The ingredient list might look long, but trust me it’s the easiest cake ever! And loved by all!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil or canola
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, just add 2 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk, mix and leave for 4 min- then use as buttermilk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp red food coloring, more or less depending on how deep you want the color
- ½ cup plain hot coffee
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 400 ml Whip Cream
- 300 g Cream Cheese – I used Philadelphia
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 100 g sugar
For the Red Velvet Cake –
- Preheat oven to 185C.
- Generously grease and flour 3 six-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk (or the one you prepared), vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
- Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at a time, mixing after each addition, just until combined. (Batter will be thin)
- Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
- Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Do not over bake as the cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack until the pans are warm to the touch.
- Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Gently remove the cakes from the pan and let them finish cooling. (The warm cake will be very delicate)
- Frost the cake with whip cream cheese fluff when the cakes have cooled completely.
For the Whip Cream Cheese Fluff –
- Whip your cream until soft peaks , add in the sugar and vanilla and mix on high. Then add in the cream cheese and mix on medium for 4 min. Keep in fridge until assembly.