So here is a vegetable that I have been trying to get my hands on ever since I started hearing about it two years ago. The first time I tasted it as a desert was in Canada, and Ive literally fallen in love with it since! Purple potato is meant to have ingredients that help you live longer, happier and healthier! So heck… this desert is perfect! 🙂 Ive also decided to take a healthier option on this desert and make it Vegan! So all my lovely vegan friends can enjoy a beautiful looking yummy dessert! its super easy to bake and tastes delicious!
Here’s how you bake it!
For the Vegan Pie Crust – (You can use regular pie crust or store bought – just substitute the coconut oil for butter)
- 145g Flour
- 55g Coconut Oil (Solid)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 3–4 Tbsp Ice Water
Purple Sweet Potato Filling –
- 680 g Purple sweet potato puree – cut into cubes, then boil until soft and blitz until creamy – make sure your puree is cooled
- 120 ml oat cream (I used oatly)
- 230 ml coconut cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
Vegan Pie Crust –
- In a blender, blitz the flour, coconut oil, salt and sugar until it starts to look like large crumbles and starts coming together. Then add half of the water, and just gently kneed until it comes together. Add the rest only if you need to. The end result should look like a cohesive dough, but making sure not to over kneed it. Then roll out to 3cm thickness and place into your pie dish, and blind bake at 180C for 20 min until light golden colour. Take out and leave to rest until filling is ready.
Purple Potato Pie Filling –
- Pre-heat the oven at 180C
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl, and with a whisk mix all the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.
- Pour into ready prepared pastry case, and bake for 55 min.
- Take out and leave to cool for 20-25 until completely cooled. Serve with whipped coconut cream. ENJOY!