It’s Sunday and it’s brunch day for us. And as Blood Oranges is in season in Sweden, I decided to make fluffy orange zest cream scones! Super easy and very tasty!
Here’s how you bake them!
- 250g plain flour, plus a little extra for rolling out
- 40g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 40g sugar
- 1 free-range eggs
- 3tsp baking powder
- 110 ml cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 2 oranges (I used blood oranges)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C. And line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small cup or bowl mix the cream and lemon juice together and leave it to curdle (this makes homemade buttermilk – alternatively you can buy buttermilk and just use that)
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour and cold cubes of butter and with your hands (or fork) rub the flour with the butter until breadcrumb consistency.
- Then add in the sugar, egg, and baking powder. Mix with a wooden spoon until it starts coming together.
- Slowly pour in the cream/lemon (or buttermilk) , orange zest and mix, this will make the mixture sticky, don’t worry this is normal.
- On a clean surface sprinkle some plain flour and fold the dough onto the flour. Slowly and carefully kneed the dough until it comes together.
- Roll the dough out into roughly an inch thickness and then press in the raspberries evenly. (I tried folding them in , which you can do too, but the juices from the raspberries just get everywhere.. either way works though)
- Then using a cookie cutter, cut out the size of your sconesand place onto the baking tray, brush with some egg wash and bake for 15 minutes.
And there you go! Brunch is ready! 😊