There is nothing like a good chocolate cake. However sometimes you don’t want something so decadent.. i know what you’re thinking.. ‘Ammna really saying she doesn’t want something so decadent??!!” crazy right.. but yea now and then you want the chocolate boost but not overpowering. So here is a light and fluffy chiffon cake with chocolate and coffee giving you the perfect mocha flavouring.
Here’s how you bake it!
Mocha Cake –
- 256 g flour
- 192 g sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 tbsp dry instant coffee
- 75 ml water
- 70 ml oil (i used rape seed oil)
- 7 eggs, whites and yolks separated
Coffee Icing –
- 256 g icing sugar
- 15 g butter
- 6 tsp dry instant coffee
- 4 tbsp water
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl. Combine chocolate, coffee, water and oil in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Stir continuously until melted and combined. Remove from heat, quickly stir in the egg yolks, and pour into the centre of the flour/sugar mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Fold a third of the egg whites into the cake batter. Gently fold until all the egg whites are combined. Repeat this twice with the remaining egg whites. Make sure not to beat or over fold the egg whites, you don’t want to deflate them.
- Pour into your baking pan, and bake for 90 minutes. The cake should feel firm tot he touch with a slightly sugary crust. Remove from the oven and invert the cake pan. Leave to cool completely and then remove the cake pan.
- While the cake cools down, make the coffee icing. Pour everything into a small saucepan on low heat, keep stirring until everything comes together, and it resembles a spreadable icing.
- Pour over the cooled cake, and serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.