So it’s nearly Easter and because of the Corona Virus many are at home and will not be celebrating. However, if your anything like me, you still bake a lot and drop it off at peoples doors. And what better way than to bake Macarons! Because it’s Easter themed.. I’ve made Egg shaped Macarons with decorations piped from royal icing and computed sugar sprinkles. They are super adorable and will be sure to put a smile on to anyone’s face! The fillings are chocolate & pistachio. I went with traditional so nothing super fancy.. but they look and taste amazing!
Here’s how you bake them!
INGREDIENTS : (This recipe makes roughly 40 macarons)
French Macaron –
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g egg whites (keep in fridge until use, they are better when cold)
- 187 g almond flour
- 225 g icing sugar
French Macaron –
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand held electric mixer) – whisk the egg white, while slowly adding in the sugar bit by bit. Let it whip until a medium merengue.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the almond flour and icing sugar together. Once the merengue is ready, then pour half of the dry ingredients into the merengue and using a spatula, fold gently until fully incorporated. Then add the remaining half, and fold until shiny and smooth. The best way to know its ready when you lift you spatula with some batter on, and it falls down creating a layered ribbon effect.
- Then pour the batter into a piping bag, and pipe onto a tray (lined with baking paper or silpat) small circles, roughly 4cm diameter.
- Leave them to rest for 30 min. Turn the oven on to 140C (300F). Once rested, sprinkle your favourite sprinkles (if you are using sprinkles) on the macarons carefully, dont press or push them in, they will stick themselves.
- Bake in the oven, each tray separately, for 18 min. Do not open the oven door, just leave them in there to do their thing. Once ready take them out and leave to cool COMPLETELY before trying to remove them off the paper. Keep on the side until time to fill. If you are using royal icing to decorate, you should decorate once they are cooled. Once cooled, fill with your favorite frosting and Enjoy!