There is no denying that chocolate and caramel go well together. Especially when it is in a combo of a cupcake, with an ooey gooey salted caramel center that is incased in a fluffy chocolate cupcake topped with a smooth caramel buttercream. Yes , this my friends, is a Covid-19 treat! Easy Peasy to bake, and EXTREMELY delicious!
Here’s how you bake them!
For the Chocolate Cupcakes –
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 6 tbsp (43g) Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk (thats 110ml of milk with 10 ml of lemon juice – if you don’t have any)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
Salted Caramel Centre – Click here for the full recipe & ingredients
Salted Caramel Frosting –
- 1 cup (226g) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (43g) salted caramel sauce – recipe here
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (coarse salt)
- 2 cups (450g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or heavy cream
For the cupcake –
- Preheat oven to 175C (325F).
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk (or home made buttermilk), vegetable oil and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin almost liquid like.
- Fill the cupcake liners about just above half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
For Salted Caramel Centre –Click here for recipe
For the Salted Frosting –
- Place the butter, caramel sauce and salt in a mixing bowl. Use a hand held mixer or a stand mixer on medium and beat the butter for 1 minute, until whipped and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, beat again on low for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until everything is incorporated.
- Add the milk or heavy cream, and beat until creamy. Spread or pipe onto the cupcakes, and drizzle with some more salted caramel for decoration (optional).