The weather isn’t settling in like it did last year in Sweden. One day its rain, one day it’s sunny, next is hailing, then the sum comes out. It’s confusing. However, there is one way to make my mind, my stomach and my soul believe it’s nearly summer. By eating this Rhubarb & Strawberry Meringue Pot!!! 😉 its absolutely delicious, the merengue is sweet , crunch from the outside, chewy from the inside. The filling is a mascarpone cream cheese vanilla cream, topped with roasted rhubarb and strawberries on top. its absolutely summer! And absolutely delicious!
Here’s how you make it!
Meringue Pots –
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Roasted Rhubarb & Strawberries –
- 400g rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 200g strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Whipped Cream –
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped and chilled in the fridge
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup mascarpone, mixed a little to soften it
- Preheat the oven to 110C.
- Using a large glass, trace six large circles (roughly 3 inches in diameter) on a large sheet of parchment paper. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet–pencil side facing down (so you don’t get any pencil marks on your meringue 😉 )
- Place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl of stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment (or in a bowl, and use a hand held mixer to beat). Whisk over low speed for 1-2 minutes, or until egg whites are foamy. Increase speed to medium and continue to whisk for an additional 1-2 minutes and then slowly start pouring in the sugar, while continuing to whisk at medium speed. Increase speed to high and whisk until meringue reaches a stiff peak.
- Whisk in the vanilla bean paste. Place the meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. I used a 14mm exxent star tip.
- Starting in the center of the circle, pipe a layer (roughly 1/2″ thick) of meringue. This will be your pot base. The trace around the circle round and round until you reach four layers height. Repeat until all meringue pots are formed.
- Immediately (you don’t want to have the meringue outside for long, otherwise they will deflate), place the meringue in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Meringue should be crispy, hard, on the outside, but they will be chewy once cut into them. Which is exactly what you want! If the meringue is wet or sticky (which can depend on humidity levels), allow them to bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the meringue cups from the parchment paper and set aside.
Roasted Rhubarb & Strawberry:
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Toss the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar, orange juice, and zest. Allow mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes to macerate.
- Roast the rhubarb for 20-30 minutes, or until it is cooked through, but can still retain its shape. Remove form the oven, and place into a clean bowl along with all the juices and allow to cool completely.
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream:
- Combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, mascarpone, and vanilla bean paste. Whip to soft peaks.
- Right before serving, fill the meringue cups with mascarpone vanilla cream and top with roasted rhubarb and strawberry pieces. Garnish with the juices, then serve and enjoy immediately! 🙂