Here is a quick & easy recipe for a very delicious vanilla sponge cake! It’s great on its own, in layered cakes or even with some whipped cream and berries!
Here’s how you bake it!
- 4 Eggs
- 150g (3/4 cup) Sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cream or full fat milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs vanilla or vanilla sugar
- 150g (1 1/3 cup) Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First set your oven to 180C / 350F.
- Then mix together the cream, lemon and oil. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand held electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Now add in half of your flour, and FOLD gently, until all is combined. Then add in half of the wet ingredients and fold until combined. Add int eh remaining half of the dry ingredients, and mix until combined and then the wet, and combine. Make sure not to over mix otherwise the air will release form the batter and you will have flat cakes!
- Pour it into your prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 min at 180C/350F.
- Take out and cool completely before taking out of the pans. Enjoy as they are or with some filling!