There is nothing that says summer than coconut and strawberries!!! So why not try out my EXTREMELY simple and very very moist & fluffy coconut sheet cake! It’s amazing for parties and gatherings. You get a good amount of servings from it, plus both kids and adults love it!
Here’s how you bake it!
For the Coconut Cake –
- 113g (1/2 cup) salted butter softened
- 118ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 300g (1½ cups) sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 6 large egg whites room temperature
- 350ml (1 1/2 cups) coconut milk
- 120ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 448g (3½ cups) flour
- 48g (1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
For the Garnish –
- 140ml (1 cup) Heavy Cream
- 48g (1/2 cup) toasted coconut shreds (the long coconut shavings)
- 140g (1 cup) sliced strawberries
- Grease and line your baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper). I used my regular oven tray – it’s perfect in size and gets me roughly 35 squares. Preheat your oven to 175C.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) to cream the butter, oil, and sugar together until smooth. Beat in coconut extract and egg whites for 2 minutes until fluffy. Beat in coconut milk, sour cream until just combined.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined. Then add the milk and coconut shreds. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tray and bake for 25-35 min (this varies depending on size of tray and oven, but as long as a cake tester comes out clean and you have a light golden brown color, you know it’s ready!).
- Let sit in the tray for 5 – 10 minutes until completely cooled.
- You can then either keep it in the tray (as I did because I was taking it to a party) or you can transfer it to a wire wrack or a serving board.
- Slice the cake evenly to get squares. I did mine 5×6 so ended up with 35 beautiful plump squares. Make sure to use a sedated knife as the cake is extremely moist and fluffy!!
- You can eat it like this or as I have done, garnish with some piped whipped cream, toasted coconut shavings and some sliced strawberries!!!
And Voila!!!! Your amazingly simple coconut sheet cake is ready!!