This beauty of a cake, is soft, sponges, white and tastes a absolutely amazing! It’s actually super easy to make and tastes absolutely Devine. Traditionally you top with some whipped cream and strawberries,and as its just January, i decided to heat up some raspberries and pour some raspberry sauce along with some some frozen raspberries on top. Yes I used frozen ones, on purpose! Basically the moisture of the raspberries once they start defrosting seeps into the cake and gives it an extra yummy tart flavor! Totally to my liking! 😉
Here’s how you bake it!
- 120 g flour
- 148 g sugar plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 tsp cream of tartar (or cornstarch)
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 148 g sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- DO NOT GREASE PAN – its very important that there is no moisture or grease in your baking pan. I used one with a hole int he middle – its traditionally used for an angel food cake, but go ahead and use whatever you like.
- Heat oven to 190 C.
- Sift the flour and 148g + 2 Tbsp sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar/cornstarch and salt until it forms peaks.
- Add the other 148g of sugar slowly, then beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Beating on LOW, add flour mixture and extracts slowly.
- Make sure you fold in the sides and bottom of your mixing bowl. (Alternatively you can do this part by hand as well)
- Move a knife through batter to remove air pockets. Pour into the baking pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- Once baked, run a knife around the rim of the cake pan just to get the ‘crust’ away from the pan.
- Then firmly spank the sides of your pan.
- You could use a knife but this sometime tears the sides of the cake.
- Invert onto your serve plate then take the knife to the now top which was the bottom of your pan and gently cut cake away from the pan insert. Serve with some raspberries or cream and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!