This is a very traditional American pie, that is commonly baked during the fall season. Its full of pumpkin spice (which is also a very common spice used in baking, cooking and drinks in north America during this season), pumpkin and lots of yummy sweetness. It may not sound like a super sweet dessert, and it actually isn’t. So for those of you that always want something sweet for dessert but don’t have much of a sweet tooth, well look no further because this ones for YOU! 🙂
Here’s how you bake it!
You can buy a pie crust from the store, or bake your own.
To bake your own pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup butter, chilled (its very important that the butter is very cold)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-7 tbs ice cold water
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 450g home made pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin puree) here is a recipe for homemade pumpkin purée – Click Here!
- 1 can condensed milk
Pie Crust – (If youre making your own)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Cut into half and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for minimum 40 min (or for best results overnight)
- Roll one of the dough balls out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Place the pie plate into the fridge until it the filling is ready.
Pumpkin Pie Filling –
Preheat oven to 200C.
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl.
Beat eggs in large bowl.
Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Butter your pie dish
Roll out your pie crust and place it into the pie dish.
Then pour pumpkin pie mixture into pie shell.
Bake at 200C for 15 minutes.
Reduce temperature to 175C and bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
And its ready! Enjoy!