Instagram: @bakedbyammna | Youtube: Baked By Ammna
It’s the 13th of December today and in Sweden it’s The day that many eat Saffron infused anything! Buns, cakes, cookies you name it! Along with some mulled juice. Instead of taking the traditional route I decided to bake saffron Macarons with white ganache filling. These tiny babies have been a hit and are perfect for those that don’t want anything too heavy but want to still have some sweet and saffron’y for today. Also I have a video tutorial on how to bake the perfect macaron in my YouTube channel so check that out , Link is here –> how to bake the perfect macaron video
Here’s how you bake them!
For the Macaron Shell –
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g egg whites (keep in fridge until use, they are better when cold)
- 187 g almond flour
- 225 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp saffron (ground) or a pinch of saffron threads ground.
For the White Chocolate Ganache–
- 237ml (1 cup) cream (whipping cream)
- 170g (1 cup) white chocolate , chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (coarse salt)
For the Macaron Shell – Full Video tutorial on how to make macarons is here –> Click!
- In a stand mixer – I use Kenwood Chef XL (or using a hand held electric mixer) – whisk the egg white, while slowly adding in the sugar bit by bit. Let it whip until a medium merengue. Add the saffron, and whip until properly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the almond flour and icing sugar together. Once the merengue is ready, then pour half of the dry ingredients into the merengue and using a spatula, fold gently until fully incorporated. Then add the remaining half, and fold until shiny and smooth. The best way to know its ready when you lift you spatula with some batter on, and it falls down creating a layered ribbon effect.
- Then pour the batter into a piping bag, and pipe onto a tray (lined with baking paper or silpat) small circles, roughly 4 cm diameter.
- Leave them to rest for 30 min. Turn the oven on to 140C (300F).
- Bake in the oven, each tray separately, for 18 min. Do not open the oven door, just leave them in there to do their thing. Once ready take them out and leave to cool COMPLETELY before trying to remove them off the paper. Keep on the side until time to fill.
For the White Chocolate Ganache –
- Put the chopped white chocolate and salt into a medium sized bowl.
- Then in a medium saucepan heat up the cream until just about starts to bubble, take off the heat and pour onto the chocolate.
- Let it sit for ten min, then starts stirring until all the chocolate chunks have melted.
- The place the bowl in the fridge for about 30-40 min or until the mixture has cooled completely, making sure to give it a stir now and then.
- Pour into the bowl of your stand mixer or using your hand held electric mixer, mix on high speed until it’s whipped up to a thick fluffy cream.
- Pour into a piping bag and pipe your macarons.
And Voila! There you have it! Saffron Macarons ready to be devoured! Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Saffron Macarons with White Chocolate Ganache”
Hi Ammna! How many egg whites make up 150g? Two eggs? Also I want to use jam for the filling in place of white choc ganache. Which flavor would you recommend (raspberry, apricot, or strawberry) would pair well with the saffron? Excited to try this!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi Myra! 150g is roughly 4-5 egg whites. Jam sounds like a perfect combo! Excited to know how they turned out 💕 if you post pics don’t forget to tag me @bakedbyammna for Instagram so I can see! Good luck and happy new year!