Instagram: @bakedbyammna Youtube: Baked by Ammna
Its nearly March, which means spring is looming just around the corner. We’ve been getting some lovely rays of sunshine on random days which put a smile on my face and just make me ready for being able to go out (once Covid is over which hopefully is SOON!) and enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery.
The one thing I love is cream, and creamy things. I also love citrusy flavors.. so that being said Pucker up those lips because you’re in for a treat!
We don’t have key lime’s in Sweden .. but we have plenty of LIME! Lol so I’m just gonna go ahead and use lime and call them key lime’s .. because I can. 😊 My key lime pie is something you can whip up in 30 min – an hour before guests arrive for dinner, and it’s set for you guys to enjoy by the time your dinner is over! Isn’t that amazing?! Plus it’s sooooooo incredibly fluffy, tangy and tasty!!!
Here’s how you make it!
Cookie Crumb Crust:
- 100-150g (roughly 1 ¼ cups) crushed digestive cookies (plain)
- 8 tblsp unsalted butter, melted
- 30g (¼ cup) sugar
Key lime filling:
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 75-80ml (3/4- 1/2 cup) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 5 tbsp (1/4 cup) heavy cream
- Zest of 1 lime plus more for garnish
Sweetened whipped cream:
- 250g (3/4 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tblsp sugar
- Zest of half lime
- Turn oven on to 175C (375F)
- Take your cookie crumbs and in a small bowl mix with the melted butter and sugar.
- Then place into a 9inch pie case or pie dish (this is a medium sized pie case that I used which serves 8-10 slices). Press down gently using the back of a spoon so the cookie crumb cases the entire side and bottom of the pie dish. Bake in the oven for 7 min and then cool in the freezer while you make your filling.
- For the filling : In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and condensed milk until combined. Then add in the zest and heavy cream. Whip rigorously until you feel it thickens up a little. Add in your lime juice and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Take your pie crust out of the freezer, pour your filling in and bake in the oven for 15 min.
- Take out of the oven and place into the fridge to set and cool (this takes roughly 1-1/2hours)
- For the sweetened whipped cream : Whip up your cream together with the sugar and lime zest until stiff peaks. Dollop generously on the pie, and serve.