INSTAGRAM : @bakedbyammna #bakedbyammna
So salted caramel – I love it but I had never made caramel with just pure sugar. I saw the great British bake off a couple weeks back and it was caramel week. Everyone was making their own version of a caramel tart. And well when I saw the ooey gooey texture of the caramel with that amber color.. I just HAD to try it! Ofcourse I went with the basic flavor combo of a chocolate Sablè base and chocolate ganache on top. And well after two tries I nailed it! (The first time my fridge broke so it couldn’t set properly lol)
It’s a VERY easy recipe and despite the fact that it’s the time to sett that makes you wait but it’s not in vain! It’s definitely worth it!
Here’s how you bake it!
INGREDIENTS : ￼(this makes for a 10” pie)
For the crust:
- 45g dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 225g flour
- 156g butter (cold cut in cubes)
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tbsp cold milk
For the caramel filling :
- 300g sugar
- Pinch of corn starch
- 6 tbsp butter, cold cut into cubes
- 5 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp flakey sea salt
For the ganache :
- 113g dark chocolate, chopped
- 113g heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pinch of sea salt
For the crust :
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together then add the butter. Mix with your fingers or fork until the dough resembles sand (tiny pieces just make sure the butter isn’t melting).
- Then add in the milk and and egg yolk, mix together by pushing the dough down. Don’t worry it will seem like it won’t come together but keep at it and it’ll come together. As soon as it does, wrap it up in plastic wrap and place into the fridge until firm (roughly 45 min but you make this ahead and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months)
- Take out then roll out to 1.5cm thickness and cover the pie case. Bake in the oven at 175C at 15 min with baking beads, take out remove beads and then bake for another 20 min until baked. Take out and let cool completely before filling.
For the caramel :
- Place sugar, corn starch and 80ml water in a medium sized saucepan. Keeping the temperature at medium-low let the sugar melt and become a deep amber color. As soon as that happens remove it from the heat and add butter quickly. Whisk and then add in the cream and salt (the caramel will bubble but don’t stop whisking).
- Once it’s come together then place into a heat proof bowl and let coo u til rm temperature.
- The. Pour into cooled tart case and keep in the fridge until set and ready for the ganache.
For the ganache :
- Place everything into a heat proof bowl over simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Mix until melted and thickened.
- Take it off the heat and place in the fridge u til cooled.
- Then take the tart out and pour the ganache over the top, grate some chocolate over the top for decoration and enjoy!