So today is my son’s first birthday. We decided to keep it super small and cute with just family this time around. But even tho it is just us celebrating him today we couldn’t be without something fun to eat!
I kept thinking if I should bake a cake or not but then I thought.. cupcakes work just as great especially if they’re rainbow colored ! He loves everything vibrant right now so these would be perfect!
These cupcakes are vanilla flavored with white chocolate buttercream to give it that lift in flavor.. and Ofcourse topped with sprinkles! they will be perfect for this evening. Super easy to bake and definitely a crowd pleaser!
Here’s how you bake them!
For the cupcakes: (makes 12 large cupcakes)
- 360g butter, room temp
- 360g sugar
- 360g flour
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla essence
- 160ml milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Rainbow food coloring, I used the following colors – blue, green, violet, yellow, orange and red.
For the buttercream:
- 170g White Chocolate
- 4 Egg Whites
- 120 g Granulated Sugar
- 250 g Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature And Cut Into Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon good Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Fine Sea Salt
- For the cupcakes: turn the oven on at 175C, and prepare a cupcake tray with cupcake forms. Then place all ingredients (except food coloring) into a stand mixer (or with a hand held mixer) and mix until light and fluffy.
- Then separate into 6 equal bowls, put a drop or two or food coloring in each bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then dollop into prepared cupcake tray, one tablespoon of each cupcakes batter, layering carefully on top of each other.
- Then place in the oven and bake for 18 min, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before piping the buttercream ontop.
- For the buttercream: Melt your white chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch, approx. 5-10 mins). Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add vanilla,Whip until smooth.
- Then add in the white chocolate and mix on high until thoroughly combined.
- Keep aside in the fridge until its ready to be piped!
- Decorate with some sprinkles of your choice and voila! Rainbow cupcake are done!