Tis’ the season for GINGERBREAD !!! Swedish gingerbread cookies are a little different to the ones you may be used to. They are thinner and crispier, but have an abudnace of flavour! Theyre great for holiday parties and can be given away as edible gifts. You can make these cookies one month in advance and freeze them, or keep them in an air tight container for two weeks!
Here’s how you make them!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room remperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- To make the icing for decorating the cookies click here
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over moderate heat, warm the corn syrup. Add the butter and sugar and continue warming, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Add the egg and whisk to combine. Pour over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in a double layer of plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
- Arrange racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 175°C. Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick baking mats, such as Silpats, or baking paper.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out a portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes, such as circles, stars, hearts, bells, gingerbread men, and Christmas trees. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with the pearl sugar. Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Watch the cookies carefully to make sure they don’t get too brown.
- Let the cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to let cool completely. Continue rolling and cutting out the rest of the cookie dough and baking the cookies on cooled baking sheets.
- Decorate the cookies as you wish! 🙂