It’s Chinese new year! So it’s only befitting that I create something spectacularly Ammna style to fill my tummy up with on such an occasion! 😁 And since this has been on my mind for a while I thought I might as well get it done and see how it turns out.
I have to say, deep frying a bao bun is probably THE BEST idea I have ever had! Hands down! It tastes like a fluffy donut but without it being too ‘dough-y’. I coated it with cinnamon sugar and filled it with ice cream and OMG was it amazing or what!
I woke up at 3am because my son was sick so I ended up baking and having a super early breakfast which included fried bao bun and ice cream and well let’s just say.. I would have this EVERYDAY!
If you’re too worried about not being able to bake a bao bun (or Simple just don’t have time) then buy frozen ones! Just make sure to defrost them before frying – they work just as well!)
Here’s how you bake them!
For the bao buns (you can buy frozen if you don’t want to bake) –
- 525g flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp dry yeast (fast action yeast)
- 50ml milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4-5 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream (I bought delicious Madagascan vanilla ice cream)
- 80g melted dark chocolate
- 80g Cherry or raspberry coolie (or sauce.. you can omit this if you don’t want it – it’s simple some frozen berries heated over a pot with a little sugar- bring to a boil and let cool in the fridge before using)
- In a large bowl , mix together the flour, sugar and pinch of salt.
- In a smaller cup, dissolve the yeast in 1 tbsp warm water and a pinch of sugar. Then add it to a bowl with the milk, oil, rice vinegar and 200ml of water.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix into a dough (you can do this by hand or with a stand mixer – fitted with a dough hook- it won’t take you long before it comes together)
- Once it comes together then knead by hand or by a stand mixer for about 10 minutes until soft and bouncy. (Could take less time if you use a mixer) Then cover and let rest u til doubled in size (about 1-2 hours)
- Once doubled, cut into equal peices (roughly 18) and roll into balls. Flatten out with a rolling pin and fold into a clam shell shape. Leave them to rest and double in size on baking paper.
- Once doubled in size then heat a large steamer over a medium-high heat. Steam the buns for 8 mins until puffed up (you’ll need to do this in batches). Once cooled you can freeze them for later use or dry them straight away.
- Heat the oil to 150C and then place a toothpick in between the bao buns so that they hold their shape when deep frying. (See image)
- Then deep fry until golden brown turning them around so all sides are evenly fried.
- Let cool slightly over a wired rack. Meanwhile in a shallow but wide plate add the cinnamon and sugar and mix u til combined well. Then coat each bao hun with the cinnamon sugar and place into a serving plate.
- Get your ice cream and scoop out a nice big scoop. Place it in the center of the bao bun and drizzle melted chocolate and/or raspberry/cherry cookie over and enjoy!
It may be messy but it’s AMAZING! ENJOY!